2014 Carlyle Cup at the Whale of a Sail
Carlyle Sailing Association
Carlyle Lake, Illinois, 13, 14 September 2014
1. Rules and Entry – Racing will be governed by the Racing Rules of Sailing. Both asail and classic E Scows are invited. The classics will be handicapped for scoring with the asail boats.
2. Venue – Racing activities will emanate from the Carlyle Sailing Association harbor, and courses will be laid between Mile 1 and Mile 5 on Carlyle Lake.
3. Sailing Instructions –Sailing Instructions will be available at registration on 12 September and the morning of 13 September.
4. Courses – Separate courses will be laid for each of the three race types enumerated above. Course assignments will be posted prior to racing. Courses on the One-Design and PHRF courses will be constituted of a combination of triangle and/or windward-leeward laps.
5. Schedule – Course and class assignments will be posted on 13 September prior to an organizational Competitors Meeting at 1000. The first warning signal will be 1100 for the PHRF course, and 1130 for other courses. A maximum of five races will be sailed for PHRF and one-design yachts. A maximum of two long distance races will be sailed.
6. Scoring – The low point scoring of RRS Appendix A shall be used on the one-design course by fleet and on the PHRF course by group after handicaps are assessed. The long distance races will score using a pursuit race format.
7. Prizes – Trophy awards will be given to the top boats in each class or group.
8. Fees - Regatta entry (entry includes 1 boat, 1 person, ditty bag, events, welcome party, refreshments, entertainment, use of facilities) Postmarked before August 29, 2014) $40.00. Postmarked on or after Aug 29) $50.00. Additional crew @ $5.00 each.
2014 Whale of a Sail Schedule of Events
Carlyle Sailing Association invites all sailors and paddlers to participate in the 44th annual Whale of a Sail Regatta. The event will be September 12 to September 14, 2014. All events will take place at Carlyle Sailing Association, Carlyle Lake, Carlyle, IL.
A great weekend of sailing and entertainment has been planned for your enjoyment and relaxation. Two days of sailing, up to seven races to be held for the sailing classes, friendly racing competition, Saturday night buffet, music and multimedia Saturday, breakfast Saturday and Sunday, refreshments all weekend!!
We’re looking forward to seeing you and your crew at the 2014 Whale!
Schedule of Events: Friday September 12
6-9p Registration Welcome party
Saturday September 13
8:00 Free breakfast
10:00 Competitor’s meeting
11:00 First warning Cabins additional races to follow 11:30 First race One Designs; additional races to follow 11:30 Long Distance Start
12:30 Lunch (Cabins lunch on water)
6:30 Chuck a Duck Competition
7:30 Party, music, whatever
Sunday September 14
8:00 Free breakfast
9:30 First warning of the day all sail classes 12:30 Lunch
2:00 Awards presentation
Classes (5 boats required) and Courses: Course 1: Cabin boats
Course 2: One-design
Course 3: Long Distance
Included in Your Entry Fee:
Friday - Welcome/Boat Setup happy hour Sat/Sun – Breakfast
Drinks all weekend
Use of CSA facilities
Ditty Bag with goodies
Where to Stay: Camping:
Eldon Hazlet State Park has tent and RV areas adjacent to CSA.
Sleeping is permitted on boats at CSA, provided the boat is in the water. No camping or pets are permitted on CSA grounds!
CenterStone Inn + Suites Carlyle – (618) 594-8888 Mariner’s Inn Carlyle – (877) 451-7666
Carlyle Lake Cottages (618) 594-3387
Econo Lodge Greenville – (618) 664-3030
Super 8 Greenville – (618) 664-0800
CSA is about 45 miles East of St. Louis, located in the south end of Eldon Hazlet State Park. Access to the park is east of IL Rt. 127 between interstates I-70 and I-64.