help_outline Skip to main content

Regatta Dates

Upcoming Events

Slide # Image URL
Slide 1 //
Slide 2 //
Slide 3 //
Slide 4 //
Slide 5 //
Slide 6 //
Slide 7 none
Slide 8 none

News / Articles

Day-2 ILYA Invite at Lake Geneva

Published on 7/13/2014

Day-2 Report


Good thing the weather forecast was all wrong for the day - AGAIN. After a brief postponement to let a small rain cell move through the area, the fleet went out just after 11:00. Today we had another three good fun races.


The wind wasn’t settled yet from the storm cell, still clocking to the right, but the RC was able to get a line set and the first race of the day off at a heading of around 195 degrees in 7-11 MPH  of wind. The course was a L6 with .9 mile legs and lasted 52 minutes. The majority of the fleet got onto a port tack early in the leg but there were some shifts and puffs to allow boats from middle right to hang in at the top mark. Peter Strothman I-9 led at every mark except the last lap when Vincent Porter I-2 got by him. Augie Barkow V-37 passed a boat or two each leg to finish third. Lon Schoor H-7 had good downwind legs to move from 11th to 4th at the finish.  Scott Young I-1 with his crew of Dave Chapin, John Morran, and Harry Melges IV finished 5th. This is a team from Texas who has had many national racing successes in other classes.  Scott has won the Mallory Cup six times - more than anyone else. Scott said racing a scow on Lake Geneva was on his bucket list so he called Harry Melges just last Tuesday.  On Wednesday they were making reservations for lodging and plane tickets. Thursday Jim Gluek was setting up a new boat that was just completed. If you have not seen the new boats - you should, they are beautiful racing machines. Scott and team arrived late Thursday and they went for their first ride in a late day thermal that came in from Michigan. They must be liking it - they are talking about finding a way to attend our National Championships in Crystal Lake MI. 



The wind speed increased for the second and third races of the day to 14-17 with some puffs to 20 according to the RC. The direction was now at about 220 but moved more to the right during the race. It didn’t seem quite that windy to me but must have been as the regatta leader Vincent Porter tipped over in this race. The second race of the day was another L6 with legs somewhat more than a mile long and it lasted 55 minutes for winner Augie Barkow but not for the rest of us as I think Augie must have had at least a 5 minute lead on the next boat . I actually thought while I was racing that Scott Ripkey I-10,  Peter Strothman I-9 and his brother David Strothman M-10 were in first, second and third place after the second downwind mark - as Augie was long gone and out of my sights. Derek Packard, on the second downwind, caught a private puff while splitting from the fleet and passed 6 boats to move into 5th place. Brian Porter I-49 had a great start and was destined to lead this race but his fourth crew fell out of the boat on the first leg - that’s how you go from first to 23rd. However he worked back to 12th at the second upwind mark and put himself in position to finish 6th in an exciting  photo finish with Young I-1 and Schoor H-7, finishing 7th and 8th. Vincent Porter I-2 was in 7th place on the first downwind when the team reacted to a puff - too little too late! Things ended badly with the vang on when the boom dragged in the water and rounded them up and over. With no flotation panels they barely avoid going turtle as the boat swung around with the mast into the wind. The wind got under the mainsail and lifted the boat up - rolling Vincent under the water as he was clutching onto the leeward board when the boat came up. That little bit of entertainment for the spectators cost them dearly and by the next upwind mark they were only ahead of three boats. However the I-2 team showed why they are leading the regatta as they worked back into 9th place at the finish.  


After a short 30 minute on-the-water break for lunch the third race of the day started at 3:20. It was a W5 course at 255 degrees and the legs were 1.35 nautical miles. It lasted only 58 minutes but to most of us it seemed a lot longer - teams were exhausted, especially those with just three people. The wind forecast was all wrong and while most people thought we’d be having light air races this day - it was just the opposite.  It is always fun to report on someones first big success, and we all like to see this - Ben Burgum M-20, new to the E-Scow fleet, lead the last race of the day for most of the way. Although he ended up third it must have been a thrill. He was being chased by seven Geneva sail numbers around the top mark, just a little intimidating while on their home lake. Young I-1, Scott Ripkey I-10, Vincent I-2, Peter Strothman I-9, Steve Lyon I-88, Brian Porter I-49, and Mike Gannon I-22 followed Ben at the first mark. Schoor H-7, Dave Strothman M-10 and Augie Barkow V-37 (over at the start) were in the back half of the fleet and gybed at first upwind mark and caught a nice breeze to move into the top ten at the leeward gate to help salvage their last race of the day. On the last downwind leg Ben was passed by race winner and regatta leader Vincent Porter and also Scott Young who finished second. Ben was third and Scott Ripkey 4th followed by Steve Lyon, Brian Porter, Schoor, David Strothman.